Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Deathly Oxford Commas

I'm a strong believer in the Oxford or serial comma. It seems more balanced than the alternatives, and leaves less room for ambiguity. So, when I had the unfortunate opportunity to attend the unveilings of my father-in-law and grandfather-in-law, I was disappointed to find that the terminal comma was absent! Something like, "Beloved husband, father and brother." It also said "Paul [last-name] Esq." There should have been a comma there too. We figured the commas must have cost extra. 

Never-mind that my father-in-law's Hebrew name had a weird mix of of Hebrew and Yiddish.  Yankel instead of Yakov for his father's name.  I'm probably the only one who will ever notice... 

2 comments:

  1. I am also a huge fan of the Oxford comma. It's really the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shoulda used my sharpie while we were there. . .

    ReplyDelete