Thursday, October 4, 2007

Avoiding Blogs

 I didn't avoid my first e-mail address.  During my first week of college in 1994, I logged in for the first time and never stopped. I'm a bit of an e-mail addict now, going through withdrawal if away for more than a few hours.

I never avoided a webpage, but probably should have. I have a website which is pretty nice looking, but years out of date.  My wife and I don't have the time or inclination to update it. So we have 4 year old pictures of our neice and nephew as well as personal information that should probably be removed in a world of increased identity theft.

I avoided cell phones. I worried that I would become preoccupied--or obsessed--about voice mail and text messages. I was right to worry; I am constitutionally unable to leave voice mails un-listened to for more than a few minutes. Not too many text messages, though.  I'm simply at the wrong side of the digital divide.

I'm addicted to social network sites.  First Friendster, then MySpace, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Why not keep in touch with everyone you've ever met, even if that "touch" is rather passive?

I've avoided blogs until this hour. I have things to say, but worry about relevance and appropriateness.  But nobody else worries, so why should I?  If people are interested in the mundanities of my life, I'm glad to have the company!

I hope to avoid twitter. 


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the dark side :)
    I have enjoyed the blogging thing. I usually feel like I'm bugging people if I call, and sending an email about "what I did today" feels very self-absorbed, but on a blog you can post whatever, and people can read or not-read as it suits them. I kind of like that.
    (And in the end, it's mostly a journal for myself. I always wanted to keep a real journal but never could motivate myself to do it. But typing here feels different because I know that others will read. Somehow that motivates me to type.)
    Anyway, welcome aboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter?

    Welcome to the Borg, Honey.

    ReplyDelete