Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sold!

My mother called us yesterday to tell us they'd sold their house.  This was not unexpected; they've been planning on moving for several years now, and--despite the market--now was the time.  By the fall, they'll be living in Boston, and will be a more visible part of our daily lives. My childhood best friend was the one who made the sale.

I think that the sale is understandably bittersweet. Looking forward, I'm excited they will be a natural part of my son's life, in the same way my grandmother was a natural part of mine. Looking backwards, I'm nostalgic about both the physical space of the house I grew up in and the community of places and people in which it resides. 

My mother's family had a summer cottage in Lake Hopatcong in Sussex County, NJ. It wasn't much, space wise, but it seemed that every other story she told about her youth took place there. I asked her to describe it to me once, and she was able to paint a vivid mental picture of the layout and decoration. It was imprinted in her memory.

In my mind, the house in White Meadow Lake is apart from time. It exists as it did when I was both 5 and 15, including toys on the floor and CD packaging on the walls. I'll miss the physical space, but these images are mine to keep.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats to your parents on the sale, and glad they'll be heading up this way. Hopefully they will be Fox 25 viewers! Certainly lots of fond memories from their house in White Meadow Lake, but luckily there are plenty of pictures and videos to help out once our memories start to fade.

    DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such fond memories of your house. All the parties, the gatherings, the shindigs. Even just hanging out and listening to Beatles music in your den.

    No matter how long you've lived away from your home, it's still hard to imagine not going there to visit. I still have vivid memories of both homes I grew up in. Take all the pictures you want, but you'll remember it perfectly well.

    Oh, and I think there was a documentary filmed at your house once - the Memoirs of Mason Reese. You'll always have that award-winning video to look at.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your parents! It's so great that they'll be close by to see your son all the time. But I know what you mean that it is bittersweet. Some of the best parties were at that house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, forgot to sign the last post.
    :)
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your parents on the sale but I know that I mirror everyone else with saying "sniff, we had fun times there"....now laugh or Terri will bite your butt....
    - Vizma

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... you had to bring up the butt-biting thing, didn't you?
    -T

    ReplyDelete