Sunday, March 20, 2011

Triangle Shirtwaist Anniversary

The Triangle Shirtwaist disaster--the largest accident in New York's history before 9/11--occurred 100 years ago this year. HBO has a documentary and all of the networks are commemorating the tragedy, especially in light of the recent labor controversies in Wisconsin, Ohio, and elsewhere.
I don't believe that I had any family in the fire, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did. My ancestors, like many Jewish immigrants, worked in the garment industry in NYC. They were involved in the labor movements - one of my grandmother's brothers was involved in the leadership in one union, and was not a non-violent time. Going through the census records exposes the occupations: cutter, finisher, presser, etc. My maternal great-grandfather was a furrier and my paternal grandmother's family had a haberdashery!

I can't imagine the conditions that they worked in, and I can't imagine working in those conditions today. I hope the centennial of the tragedy leads to continued fair treatment of labor of all sorts.

1 comment:

  1. As horrific as the Triangle Shirtwaist fire was, New York's worst disaster before 9/11 was the General Slocum fire, which killed over 1,000 people.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_General_Slocum

    ReplyDelete